Friday, July 7, 2017

Argos at BMO (yup. Again)

It was a week ago today that I decided to go check out the Argos at BMO.

Anyone who has read this blog before knows that I never thought that BMO was the solution for the Argos. That said, I went to the game with an open mind and I really hoped that I was going to be pleasantly surprised. Anyone that knows me knows that I love the CFL (hell, I live within walking distance of Tim Horton's field) and I want this league to do well, so is it really a surprise that I want the Argos to do well?

Well, I have to admit I came out with mixed feelings.

I will say this, I sat in the south end and there was a very small but very passionate group of fans who were right into it and they were very friendly and invited me to hit their drum and wave their flag. That is so cool! I think that more of this is needed for the Argos to succeed.

I do think that the BMO field ground crews have done an amazing job of keeping the grass in good shape and painting the lines so that you only see the lines applicable to the sport being played.

Football belongs outside. It just felt right being outside to watch the Argos.

That said, there are negatives. First off all there were only 11 thousand people there. The place looks so empty. I can't believe I'm going to say this but the Argos should tarp off sections to keep the crowd from looking so sparse. You see it on TV and you feel it in the stadium.

The Argos have also "retired" the Argonotes and replaced them with a drum core group. While the drum core is very talented, I think they have abandoned a large portions of fans who would help make that atmosphere better.

TFC have proved that the location of the stadium is not an issue. So we can't say that is a problem. I was in Liberty Village just north of the stadium (enjoying a beer) just before the game and was able to walk over in about 10 mins, that is not an issue. For those who don't know, liberty is chalk full of bars and restaurants. It's the perfect neighborhood to accompany a stadium.

So what is it? Is the CFL just not relevant in Toronto anymore? I can't think that is the case. The Argos have been here since 1873. Is it because TFC and the Jays have been competitive over the past couple of seasons? Is it because the Wolfpack are turning heads and, there just isn't enough money to be spread around all the pro teams in the city? Maybe people would prefer to stay home and watch the game on TSN?

I really don't know. I heard a theory that the Wolfpack and Argos should go in together on a 15,000 seat pop up stadium. Maybe that would be a solution?

I really don't have an answer for this one but something has got to change, a large company like Bell won't hold onto the team if it is just bleeding money, even if the team is part of a league in which their TV property (TSN) is the official broadcaster. Then what?

No comments:

Post a Comment